I Been To Your House An' Seen What You Adore

11.10.2007

2007-6

Recently, I received an email from our publicist, asking for my Top 5 albums of 2007. As a neurotic list-maker, and uber-fan of the film High Fidelity, I was of course up to the challenge. However, as I scrolled through my iTunes, looking for my favorite current records, I realized that almost all of them were actually RELEASED in 2006, but only became favorites of mine in 2007.

After a small amount of reflection, I came to realize that this is indicative of my musical personality -- i generally will wait until enough people have told me some band or album is really good before actually taking a listen myself. Then, if the first couple listens catch my attention (not necessarily to the whole album; maybe just a song or two), I will slowly invest a little more at a time, like someone who is afraid of the heat might slide into a jacuzzi one inch at a time.

So, here I present my Top 5 of 2007 list, but, more importantly I think, my In-Retrospect 2006 Classics Top 10 List, which is not only a better indication of what I was listening to this year, but also shows which records have stood the test of (some) time, for me at least.

Top 5 of 2007:
1. LCD Soundsystem - "Sound of Silver"
2. The National - "The Boxer"
3. Against Me! - "New Wave"
4. Tegan & Sara - "The Con"
5. Oh, Sleeper - "When I Am God"

2007 Honorable Mention/Recent Loves:
Manchester Orchestra - "I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child"
Radiohead - "In Rainbows"
Bloc Party - "A Weekend In the City"
Motion CIty Soundtrack - "Even If It Kills Me"

Top 10 of 2006:
1. Regina Spektor - "Begin To Hop"
2. The Format - "Dog Problems"
3. The Knife - "Silent Shout"
4. The Sounds - "Dying To Say This To You"
5. The Killers - "Sam's Town"
6. Copeland - "Eat, Sleep, Repeat"
7. Justin Timberlake - "Future Love/Sex Sounds"
8. mewithoutYou - "Brother, Sister"
9. My Chemical Romance - "The Black Parade"
10. Midlake - "The Trials of Van Occupanther"

2 Comments:

Blogger Brittany said...

haha You're like me.. Half the time I won't listen until I hear about them enough.. There's just so many bands, and everyone talks about hundreds of different ones..

Manchester Orchestras "I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child" is one of my favorites, definitely.

There's really only a few I agree with on here.. I LOVE Dog Problems, and Brother, Sister.. haha You Like J.T.? haha He kinda/sorta gets on my nerves.

There's about three bands that I've not heard before on these lists. I guess I could give them a listen sometime.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

...and me. I was thinking about posting a best of '07 list on my blog soon, and I realized the same thing: "Oh crap, that came out in 2006? And that one was 2005? 1979?!?!" Just because something came out within the last 12 months doesn't mean it's any more worth talking about than the Minutemen record I just got.

I love lists, too, but I've started to like features like The Onion's "Random Rules" even more lately.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home