I Been To Your House An' Seen What You Adore

5.10.2006

i seriously can't believe this...

what is the state of urban music these days? i am in no way racist, and it's weird that I feel like if I criticize urban music I'm being racist. there are plenty of caucasians in urban music, and anyway plenty of great african-american rock'n'rollers, past and present (sam cooke, aretha franklin, bloc party singer guy), not to mention some great urban artists (jay-z, the roots, destiny's child -- not joking, don't poke fun). but SERIOUSLY! I was watching music videos today--really, it just makes me bitter and I should probably stop--and a little gem by NE-YO came on, "When You're Mad". I was laughing audibly for all to hear throughout the house. Here is just one verse and the chorus:


Could it be the little wrinkle over your nose
When you make your angry face
That makes me wanna just take off all your clothes
And sex you all over the place?
Could it be the lil' way you storm around
That makes me wanna tear you down
Baby, I'm not sure, but one thing that I do know is

[Chorus]
Every time you scream at me
I wanna kiss you
When you put your hands on me
I wanna touch you
When we get to arguing
Just gotta kiss you
Baby, I don't know why it's like that
But you're just so damn sexy
When you're mad


"SEX YOU ALL OVER THE PLACE"! This is CLASSIC. I couldn't have made this shit up. I am actually laughing as i type about it. One more time, those first few lines...


Could it be the little wrinkle over your nose
When you make your angry face
That makes me wanna just take off all your clothes
And sex you all over the place?


Wow. Moving on... There is a group currently getting quite a bit of attention, especially on MySpace, called....wait for it... DA MUSICIANZ.

"What should we call our group?" I imagine one member asking another.
"Well, what are we?"
"Musicians!"

And the rest is history. Add a couple clever misspellings, and there you have it. Beethoven is leanin' and rockin' wit it in his grave...

Bitter but getting better,
Danimal

5 Comments:

Blogger brian jensen said...

i wouldnt call the singer of bloc party african american. he is from england.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. It just seems like an overall lack of talent/caring for modern music. My cousin Ryan is the guitarist for a group (Landon Pigg) and we have sat down and discussed things like these numerous times. The part that truely saddens me the most is that I look at my Dad and he has this great music that he loves and he can turn on the radio and enjoy the music from his era. I fear we won't have the luxury. I honestly don't see our generation having music to look back on with the ability to say...that music really meant something to me then, and still has that effect on me now. Great blog! -Mike (Tucson, AZ)

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good God Dan, that is hillarious. I wrote better songs than that when I was 5.

11:20 AM  
Blogger corrie said...

i just saw the ne-yo video, recalled this entry and had to laugh. truely, a funny moment in my day.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that made my day right there.
i've heard that song before and laughed... now every time i hear it i'm going to think of you, dan. hahaha.
Have a good day.
<3Casey

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home