I Been To Your House An' Seen What You Adore

3.15.2006

the vigilantes

so this happened a few nights ago but i need to tell the story. after our show in grand rapids, we went with jessa and gabe (see below) to a house party, where gabe's band (menage) was opening for local boys the Vigilantes. menage was great; they are an instrumental band, kind of appleseed cast and explsions in the sky and mogwai. then we hung out for a bit, and the vigilantes started playing. i was on a phone call for about half their set, but when i came inside, i was unprepared for what i found there.


the last song, "let's dance all night", was a crowd favorite, full of crowd participation. the singer, joey, split the corwd straight down the middle into two groups. the stage left group was so sing, "let's dance all night," followed by stage right with, "doo-bee doo-wop". the song had no verses -- it was "unfinished", but i think i liked it that way -- and slowly the guitars dropped out and it was just the crowd and the drummer, then just the snare drum, then just the crowd, with friends and fans hijacking the microphones, one or two people crowd-surfing, and a whole lot of smiling on my face.


it was seriously a magical musical moment, one that made me feel like a sell-out, even though i don't really think i am. but this whole thing was just so organic and fun and there was such a strong sense of community in that house, that i wanted so desperately to be a part of it. thankfully, i think i will be moving to grand rapis for a month pretty soon to write, as well as to join that group of amazing people, if only for a little while.

love danimal

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh Mock said...

Man that sounds rad. I'm jealous.

I have a friend that lives in Grand Rapids. If you end up staying there for a while you should meet up or something

~"Demon Hunter" Josh

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh don't you just love Grand Rapids? I sure as hell do. I'm 40 minutes west of it but I go as often as I can. I think I showed up at that same house party but I wasn't there long :/

4:17 PM  
Blogger amsa said...

ACTUALLY...not to burst your bubble...but when I was pretty young, in elementary school, I went to the Kennedy Center in DC to see the National Symphony Orchestra (that's right I've got culture) and in one of the pieces, the 80 some member orchestra, one by one would periodically leave during this piece until the only person remaining was the first violinist. (i believe...could have been a different instrument.) Then gradually they all came back for probably the biggest surprising sound of my life, that still until this day I am waiting for my heart to continuing beating. SO that technique (for the lack of the apporpriate word) has been used before. So I guess the real question is would you consider the National Symphony Orchestra, sell outs? haha

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home