I Been To Your House An' Seen What You Adore

2.21.2006

(Old Classic) Halloween Hipster Party

We had a day off in Chicago recently, and I spent the evening with a friend of mine named Fire Jay (so named because of his duties as a fireman), who took myself and Joe to a party...a costume party...but no ordinary costume party...a HIPSTER costume party. Below is my attempt at blog photojournalism, replete with descriptions of each photo. These are hipster's at their finest, folks, so revel in it, love it, think about it.



This was my first clue -- hipsters tend to stick to PBR (for cheap nights) or Stella Artois (big rollin' nights...or any night in Capitol Hill, Seattle)

The visual counterpart to the hip music (obscure techno mainly, including the cover of "Money (That's What I Want)" from the Empire Records soundtrack) was a VHS copy of Back To The Future playing silently on the wood-paneled TV:



As i sat in an old, plaid, mostly comfortable armchair, I looked down at the PHONOGRAPH (necessary for any hipster pad) and noticed this sticker, denoting popular hipster politcal leanings:



This caused me to notice other graphics, mainly the art on the walls...



ALF Knit-By-Number Rug (this is actually pretty cool, I will admit...)



...and this one appears to be a Pope juggling five Jesus-On-The-Cross's...so true, man.

So I checked the bookcase...



Yep, five out of fifteen are by Kurt Vonnegut -- and they even avoided the bestseller Slaughterhouse Five!

Since I don't know much about early Devo or black and white photography, I was a bit out of the loop, forcing me to take matters into my own hands...



Happy Halloween, everyone.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great insight on what a hipster truly can be. My sister tried to explain that to me while I was in Portland, but this does a much better job for me.

I saw your show when you played in Seattle in November, never even heard of you, I went for the Rocket Summer. You guys played a helluva live show, and I am a big fan now.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is that supposed to be with ALF on that rug?

7:33 PM  
Blogger Momma said...

Holy cow!! i have that same hoodie!! Cursive rocks!

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hah! Nice.
I love me some pbr

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahahahhaaa

i have to say
you costume is very hipish.

10:56 PM  
Blogger anepiclife said...

Hey Dan,
Nobody ever post's on mine so I thought I would say hello on yours. Hope your well and I'll enjoy reading your posts in the future.
kelly

11:13 PM  
Blogger anepiclife said...

Dan,
Just wanted to let you know your long torturous writing times have been read by me. I write from time to time and nobody ever leave a comment so I thought I would on yours. Hope your well.
Kelly

11:15 PM  
Blogger thinsafetypin said...

dang it, dan. i just did a minor redesign over at thinsafetypin.com today and now i see this. now i'm gonna look like a copycat. some fake brother you are!





you know ike loves you, baby. don't stay mad at ike.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. I personally like it here more than myspace. It's less addicting and you don't have people trying to be your friend. Speaking of that....can I link you? Kidding. I'm actually still not sure how to do that. See ya. Jon

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're pretty much the best ever.
NYC next week? Let's hang.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home