I Been To Your House An' Seen What You Adore

2.21.2006

my home away from home

wednesday, february 15th 2006

i would like to describe the bunk in which i live more than half of the year. this will be an exercise for me in descriptive writing, and an exercise for you in understanding the spatial life of a nominally talented nomad.

my bunk is the largest of the living quarters, located in the front of the RV, hanging over the driver cabin, both lookout post and luxury suite. at about 7 1/2' feet long, it is the only bunk in which i can fully stretch out my 6' 2" frame. the ceiling is a dirty sand-colored fiber carpet of some kind, well worn and stained various colors. most if not all of these marks were here when we got the RV, and the origins of them will hopefully forever remain a mystery to me. there are three windows: one on either side of the vehicle, each of which open and are equipped with screens, which are good not only for keeping out bugs, but provide an additional variable which helps one to achieve perfect airflow through the bunk, especially on warm nights, sleeping while another servant-hearted band member drives.

the third window is long and narrow and sprawls across the front of the cabin, through which i can see the road and whatever scenery there may be to take in at any time. this panel, however, is perenially plagued by the remains of large insects -- if they manage to miss the regular windshield, this is where they often end up. no amount of gas station squeegie work ever seems to completely clear up these pockmarks, but the view can be beautiful regardless.

the dark green 70s fabric-covered foam mattress is about 6 feet long, and on either end are about 9 inches of fake wood paneling, perfect for basic storage. (let it be known, however, that "storage" for many people involves an organized system of items placed in specific places for specific reasons, however, when I say "storage", abandon this preconception; think chaos...) on the driver side, where i generally rest my pillow and head, i keep odds and ends -- things i use and need regularly, like my beanie, wallet, screwdriver (for fixing the always broken curtain system which constitutes my only privacy barrier), notebook and whatever book(s) i am currently reading. on the other end are the books i am not currently reading, a hot glue gun and glue sticks (also for the damn curtains), and whatever else may congregate, meaning whatever any other band member tosses there.

my sleeping bag and comforter are generally laid out on the closer half of the bunk for easy access; the front half, closest to the long window, houses my green collapsable laundry box (a wonderful and practical christmas present from Mom), my duffel bag for clean clothes, and an extra blanket for cold nights. also currently located in this half of the bunk is our merch guy Thomas' huge duffel bag (he didn't get the memo to pack light). on the driver side there is also one light, perfect for late night reading.

and that's about it. i am lucky to have such a nice and comfortable place to spend the majority of my time; feel free to ask for a tour anytime.

next issue: the greater RV.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a nominally talented nomad?

yes, I do believe I have said the same exact words about myself.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually found that to be pretty interesting. I've been in bands for half my life. But I've never been in a touring situation, and have always wondered what it'd be like.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been in the RV. you had lots of cereal. and a really cool dry-erase board.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In "The Greater RV", don't forget to mention the smell of 'boy'.


<3, swiss.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home